Friday, July 24, 2009

In my reading

I have been doing a lot of reading lately about family, and making our church better at ministering to them. While I was reading "Think Orange" by Reggie Joiner (which is available in the WCC library) I came across this passage about parenting. I wanted to share it with you because I truly feel that I am here to support the family and their efforts to grow children in Christ.

"Kids already have a front-row seat to their parents' lives; the question is, what are thy watching? Is it just show? Or is it a real-life adventure where they see courage and passion to overcome personal obstacles? Parents must show them what it is like to pursue a better relationship with God. Show them what a committed, loving marriage looks like. Show them how it looks to prioritize Jesus above anthing else. Show them what it is like to reject the materialism and consumerism of this world. If parents want their children to have it in them, they have to see it demonstrated.

Kids need to see their parents
struggle with answers,
face their weaknesses,
deal with real problems,
admit when they are wrong,
fight for their marriage,
resolve personal conflict.

Children need to see their parents make relational, emotional, and spiritual growth a priority. If parents don't make it personal, it may never be personal for their kids."

No comments:

Post a Comment